Participants in this course will use MU Extension Learning and Teaching Services' six-step process to develop an online course site and at least one module that incorporates key course concepts: ensure impact, leverage asynchronous content, and engage learners.
This is NOT a course in the traditional sense. Rather, it is a resource and collaboration space. We are not going to cover how to teach online, quality course standards, teaching best practices, instructional design... Of course, we'll slip in all sorts of nuggets of wisdom to help you excel in the online learning environment.
Six Steps to Success will open September 10 and a new module will open each Thursday over the following five weeks. There is no course end date! We want you to continue to use this site as a collaboration space, to contact your facilitator, and to access resources.
Course activities are asynchronous. However, small group and one-on-one Zoom sessions are highly encouraged! We want to interact with you. We want you to interact with each other. And, we understand the demands on your time. Synchronous sessions are optional.
Knowledge and experience with Canvas Learning Management System is helpful but not required. You will be encouraged to enroll in multiple additional trainings and online resources sites over the next few weeks.
After completing the modules, you will be able to:
- develop a course map incorporating vertical and horizontal alignment strategies,
- transition face-to-face content delivery and learning activities to online formats,
- identify three types of learner engagement and give an example of each,
- develop a course site that meets key communication criteria and support resources for students,
- develop a course site that complies with phase one accessibility and Quality Matters requirements,
- develop a module structure to meet course objectives that incorporates the principles of universal design for learning,
- utilize the MultiTool to build your course structure, and
- identify and perform the six steps in the online course review process.